Land Disturbance Permit Instructions
 Commercial and Industrial
Land developments that disturb more than 10,000 sq. ft or is deemed necessary by the City is required to have a City of Portland Land Disturbance permit per the City's Storm water ordinance, Title 21.
  • Purpose of this form:
    To eliminate any non-allowable discharges to Portland’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) that impact water quality. 

  • Completing the form: 
    Type or print clearly, using ink and not markers or pencil. Click on and select each blank item signifying that you have read these sections and will comply with them. Submitting this Land Disturbance Permit does not exempt you from complying with all aspects of the City of Portland’s Storm water Management Ordinance. This form does not exempt you from obtaining any other state, local or federal required permits.

  • Who must submit a Land Disturbance Permit form?
    Land developments that disturb 10,000 sq. ft. or more are required to have a City of Portland Land Disturbance Permit per the City's Storm water ordinance, Title 21. 

    No site development permit is required for the following activities:
    • Any emergency activity that is immediately necessary for the protection of life, property, or natural resources.
    • Agricultural land management activities (except where the clearing of the land, forest or other agriculture activity, results in activities other than further agriculture or forest use.)
    • Additions or modifications to existing detached single-family dwellings.


Land Disturbance Permit Guide

  • Grading work must commence within 60 days of issuance or grading permit will be void.
  • The permit is valid for one (1) year from date of issue ---- after that date, you must contact this office for renewal.
  • Where applicable, work shall also conform to the requirement as for construction done near or in a stream potentially affected by the project set forth in the Aquatic Resource Alteration Permit (ARAP) as issued by the Natural Resource Section of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and the Department of Army permit issued by the Corp of Engineers or work in or near delineated wetlands. No work shall commence within a TVA easement until TVA has granted permission and written verification is provided to the City of Portland. The contractor and/or developer shall be responsible for obtaining all permits required by agencies and/or governmental entries having jurisdiction.
  • Erosion control devices, as shown on the approved Erosion Prevention & Sediment Control Plan (enclose plan with this Land Disturbance Permit) shall be in place prior to any grading, clearing and/or any other construction activity. These devices shall be maintained throughout the construction period; generally considered to be through the completion of restoration. A copy of your EP&SC plan along with an inspection checklist and Storm water Permit must be at the project site at all times. The inspection checklist shall have a record of dates EP&SC devices are inspected and any correction action taken or major observations.
  • All EP&SC devices are to remain in place until the site has been stabilized and a good stand of grass has been established.
  • Erosion prevention and sediment controls must be inspected at least twice every calendar week and at least 72 hours apart. Inspections are to be documented and kept with the SWPPP.
  • The project is subject to inspection by the City of Portland at any time and items found deficient shall he immediately corrected. The City may stop construction on properties, or administer other enforcement actions as defined by Portland's Storm water Management Ordinance including Civil Penalties of $50 to $5,000 per day, per violation.
The following erosion prevention and sediment control BMPs will be preformed until Bond is released: PLEASE READ AND SELECT EACH REQUIREMENT BELOW.